A Wee Bit of Tie Dye

This past tie dye season was pretty heavy ... once 2 heavy bags of soda ash arrived from
Dharma Trading Co. the fun began! 


First up was tie dye for the grand opening of a wonderful new store in Provo: HARMONY! It is beautiful small store that is full of magnificent and unusual yarn and fabric. 

It is a place to gather materials and also to gather to expand your horizons. There are classes to take on all sorts of subjects -- from crocheting very hep granny squares to basket weaving to a casual, informative and fun class to learn the basics of embroidery, taught humbly by Moi.

Another favorite part of Harmony is Darlybird -- a store that is a beautiful mélange (sounds sweeter than mishmash!) of practical, colorful, new and vintage, and indeed DARLiNG art materials, gifts and household decor.  The online store is dandy as well.

I did 50 knitting/lunch bags for them. They were a smashing success! 
If you'd like one I have a few extra and Harmony has a few left as well.

Next up was a rousing round of towels with a enthusiastic group of 8 year old girls: Ooof. 

One little girl came dressed in her finest clothes. I thought this strange since tie dye is know to be pretty and pretty messy, potentially. Her clothes were the cleanest, newest and cutest. I have since learned that she plays the piano very well. Ah-ha!

I have learned that piano players like to be neat, and don't mind dull points on pencils. They want things clean, and they simply don't care about pencil points. 

I have noticed this for years at music studios during many hours of music lessons. There are never pencil sharpeners and all the pencils are dull. I've wondered, Why not a mechanical pencil? and Where did that pencil sharpener I brought last time go? No matter. Musicians' studios are the Bermuda triangles for pencil points.

Artists don't necessarily care about neat and tidy but LOVE sharp pencils.

Of course this theory washes out like extra dye with my very artistic and messy son, who is ducky with dull pencils and plays about 6 different instruments, while singing.

Back to tie dye:

After the bags and towels I thought I'd clean up some of my past Wanna-Dos.  This included several large rectangular table cloths. These are tricky. They need to be dyed and left, no flipping over for the other side, just lots and lots of dye sitting on, and then in, the fabric.

Soaked and swirled: 

Soaked, swirled and stained:     

I'll post the finished results as soon as I set up a big enough table -- someday I'll use it for a Thanksgiving feast.

And now, for no particular reason ... Rudi, the WP, (wonder pup.) Rudi is our super sweet mini-aussie puppy.

He constantly surprises us by not being a beagle. On our run this morning the leash slipped out of my hand! I panicked. To my surprise: HE STOPPED. Beautiful beagles would maybe take a peek at their person and then bolt away in delight. 



If you'd like to see more of Rudi and faster posting of WoRLD of WHiMSiMOBiLiA 
goodies follow me on Instagram, and Twitter: @WHiMSiMOBiLiA!